Women’s Heritage Month: Amber Bowen

Name: Amber Bowen

What would you say that you do here at SEBTS?

I teach History of Ideas in the College and I function as President of The Society for Women in Scholarship at Southeastern.

Tell us a little about yourself:

I grew up in Raleigh, NC, and attended The College at Southeastern for my undergraduate. I decided to pursue a degree in History of Ideas because I wanted to go to law school and several schools had recommended that type of undergrad as a good foundation for law. During my time here, I learned that I was more gifted towards academics than law and developed a passion for theological education. After I completed my undergraduate, I moved to Milan, Italy as a journeyman with the International Mission Board. While there, I pursued a Master of Arts in Education and, when I had completed my term, took a job at a private, Italian school teaching high school history and philosophy for an additional two years. My four years in Italy were some of the most formative in my life and eventually sent me back to Southeastern to continue my training for theological education in the academy. I am now completing my thesis for the M.A. in Philosophy of Religion and will begin a European PhD program in philosophy this fall. My area of focus is Soren Kierkegaard, a 19th century Danish philosopher whose enterprise is to “save Christianity from Christendom.” In the meantime, I love getting to teach History of Ideas to the Southeastern College students.

For fun I love cooking (especially authentic Italian cuisine), reading, traveling, hiking, cycling, and getting fun and substantive conversations going with a group of friends. I also have a golden retriever named Prada.

Who’s your favorite historical figure (that’s a woman)?

Angelina and Sarah Grimke are fascinating historical figures. They grew up in the south in a slave-holding family that also believed women were inferior to men. Their worlds were challenged when they met a group of Quakers who were involved in the abolitionist movement, fought for gender equality, and were marked by their religious sincerity and winsome engagement in the public square. After confronting their family about their practice of slavery and other views, the two sisters left their privileged status in the South to join the efforts of the abolitionists in the North not just to end slavery but also to fight against racial prejudice based on their biblical convictions. They were among the first female public speakers and powerful writers who were strong influences in the public discourse of the time.

What is a legacy you want to leave? How do you want to be remembered?

I appreciate the Grimke sisters because possessed a quality that I desire: thick skin and a soft heart. Thick skin because my life is not my own but is hidden in Christ. A soft heart because I once had a heart of stone that was curved in on my own self-worship; now, because of the cross, I have been given a heart of flesh.  I hope to lead a life that proclaims these truths.

Share