Women’s Heritage Month: Charlotte Akin

What would you say that you do here at SEBTS?

I am the President’s wife and I love getting to host event fellowships in our home, and I love connecting with other SEBTS ladies. It is a gift to get to “live life” with our SEBTS family. I am blessed to be Danny’s wife and I love to get to serve others in our Southeastern Women’s Club, Southeastern Women’s Fellowship. I do lots of planning, serving, and “GOing” as Danny’s wife and I love every bit of it.

Tell us a little about yourself.

My parents divorced when I was 7 years old. I went to live in The Georgia Baptist Children’s Home with my brother and sister when I was nine. I lived there until I was 18. At age 11 I accepted Jesus as Lord my Lord and Savior and that day I got a new and Wonderful Father. At 16 I met “the man of my dreams,” Danny Akin. He married me when I was 19 and we moved to Dallas Texas for Bible college, ministry, and started our family there.

We have had a full fun life serving the Lord together. I love to connect with our SEBTS ladies. I have “lived life” with wonderful friends I have met here and in our other ministries before Southeastern. I love to read, spend time at the beach, and I love, love being a grandma and spending time with our children and their families.

What is a book that you have that has left the most impact on you (besides the Bible)?

Oh girlfriends, how do I pick just one book that has had an impact on my life? 🙂 I will pick my “recent read” because it’s fresh in my mind and its “impact” is significant. I was refreshed, encouraged, blessed, and convicted by the pages from this book. It is a well written book by Lauren Chandler titled Steadfast Love. In this book Lauren takes us through wonderful studies of God’s Word, especially through Psalm 107. We are constantly reminded to praise the Lord for his steadfast love through all circumstances in our lives.
Who is your favorite historical figure (that’s a woman)?

Lottie Moon is someone that I admire and respect greatly. She was a fierce, feisty female who was bold and served the Lord and the people of China for over 40 years. I love to give to the Lottie Moon Christmas offering every year! This Offering honors Lottie’s life and service and supports thousands of Southern Baptist missionaries. She may have only been 4’3″, but she was mighty for Jesus.
When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up? Did that happen, or did God take you in another direction?

As a five-year-old girl I remember longing to grow up and be a wife and a mother. I’m thankful and grateful to the Lord for making me Danny’s wife and the mother of our four sons, Nathan, Jonathan, Paul, and Timothy. Our sons know the Lord and they all serve the Lord in ministry. I am grateful to be living the dream I dreamed of as a little girl. It’s not because of anything that I did but because of Gods merciful grace he saw fit to make me a wife, mother, mother-in-law & grandma. In these seasons of life I can trace the Lords wonderful hand in all the pieces of His story for me.

What is a legacy you want to leave? How do you want to be remembered?

I would love to be remembered as a woman who loved the Lord with her whole heart, who enjoyed sharing Christ with others. I pray for our grandchildren to grow up to love and serve the Lord. We just had our 12th grandchild. We have six granddaughters and six grandsons! A Perfect dozen 🙂 of course they’re not perfect; they are in need of the saving grace of Jesus. I pray that I will influence their lives and point them to Jesus, that they will serve Him with their whole hearts.

Share