Tune My Heart to Sing Thy Grace: Worship as Obedience

One of my favorite hymns is Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.  The hymn writer beautifully pens this anthem of grace and call to praise of the One whose streams of mercy are never ceasing.

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;

Streams of mercy, never ceasing,

Call for songs of loudest praise.

Teach me some melodious sonnet,

Sung by flaming tongues above.

Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,

Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Sadly, we often sing this hymn, and others, mindlessly.  Who is this Fount of Every Blessing?  Why do we need to have our hearts tuned to sing His grace?

Worship is so much more than singing songs on Sunday.  Worship is a lifestyle of obedience.  Paul reminds us of the work of the cross in 2 Corinthians 5:14-15, “For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.” This Fount of Every Blessing is the Almighty God who has reconciled us to Himself through His Son, Jesus Christ.  It is the glorious Gospel that compels us to offer all that we are to all that He is.

Here I raise my Ebenezer;

Here by Thy great help I’ve come;

And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,

Safely to arrive at home.

Jesus sought me when a stranger,

Wandering from the fold of God;

He, to rescue me from danger,

Interposed His precious blood;

Romans 12:1 says, “I appeal to you therefore, brothers [and sisters], by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.”

O to grace how great a debtor

Daily I’m constrained to be!

Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,

Bind my wandering heart to Thee.

Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,

Prone to leave the God I love;

Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,

Seal it for Thy courts above.

With many things vying for our attention and rampant temptations, we are indeed prone to wander.  May our daily worship consist of a humble, fervent pursuit of God through His Word and prayer.   May our gracious Heavenly Father tune our hearts daily to sing His grace.  May our prayer be that God, by work of the cross and the power of the Holy Spirit, would enable us to set our mind’s attention and our heart’s affection on the Lord Most High looking ahead to that glorious day when he will come again and make all evil things come untrue.  Until that day, may we spread the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere through a lifestyle of worship and obedience (2 Cor. 2:14).

Kimberly Merida is the wife of Tony Merida, pastor of Imago Dei Church, Raleigh, and the author of Orphanology and Ordinary. Kimberly is the mother of five adopted children, four from Ukraine and one from Ethiopia. Kimberly speaks at various women’s conferences, and justice ministry events. She serves as a Director of Women’s Discipleship at her church and volunteers as a Justice Advocate with the International Justice Mission. She is also a musician, playing regularly at Imago Dei, and other events. You can follow her blog at www.shownmercy.blogspot.com.  
Share