Seven Blessings from the Storms of Life

“In this life you will have trouble.

But take heart!  I have overcome the world.”

John 16:33

Figuratively speaking, no one raises their hand and says, “Pick me!  I want to go through a hardship.” 

Why would they?  Trials, hardships and storms are HARD.  They often challenge and try us beyond what we think we can endure.

Jesus warned His closest friends, “In this life you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world.” 

In other words, ‘You will have trouble while living on this earth.  Life is not going to be easy just because you belong to Me.   But be encouraged, I’m bigger.  I’m stronger and I’m more powerful than any trial, storm or adversity you may face.’

In a sin-ridden world and a world where the Creator gives free will to man, trials are inevitable.  Sometimes storms come as a consequence of bad decisions.  Other times, they just happen.

Several years ago, I started labeling my storms.  They were either:

• rain showers
  • thunderstorms
  • hurricanes

Or God forbid, the mother of all storms:  the tsunami.  The tsunami changes the topography of our lives.  Our lives are never the same following a tsunami.

I’ve experienced all four.  Never, would I have volunteered for ANY of these storms.  However, one thing I’ve noticed, once I come to the other side of the storm, I’m different.  I’ve seen God take hard, painful, deeply hurtful things… Things I thought would crush me. And bring good.

But it’s always after the storm that I’m able to see the good.  (Rarely do I see the good while in the center of the storm.)  God promises to those who love Him, that HE WILL work all things for good. (Romans 8:28)

So, the good I’ve seen following a trial:

1. Perspective shift – I see life from an entirely different perspective following a storm.  God tells us to not get too comfortable here.  We are citizens of a different kingdom.  (Phil 3:20; 1 Peter 2:11)
  2. Stronger – I’m much stronger.  Small issues and small thunderstorms do not ruffle my feathers as they once did.
  3. More assertive – Instead of running from issues or wishing they didn’t exist, I tend to face them head-on now.
  4. Molded and shaped – The very thing I’m often asking God to remove is the very thing that is molding and shaping my character.  It’s growing my faith and stretching WHO I believe He is and what I believe He can do.  Storms humble me – making me ever more dependent on Him.
  5. Increase of Faith – When I see God do what only He can do in the midst of the storm, I have greater confidence when facing other storms.
  6. Comfort – I’ve been able to comfort others with the comfort He’s given to me.
  7.  Witness – I’m able to witness to a hurting world the reality of God in the midst of a hard place. Often people I don’t even know are watching. If the world ever needed to see the reality of Jesus in everyday life – it’s now.

So, if you’re going through a storm, be encouraged.  Our God is bigger.  Our God is stronger and is more powerful than any trial, storm or adversity you may face.  And the things you thought would crush you, will ultimately draw you closer to Jesus and develop within you a faith the world desperately needs to witness!

“In this life you will have trouble.

John 16:33

Tara is the Founder and President of Knowing God Ministries.  Her passion is to change lives and families ONE WOMAN at a time by helping them know God personally.  You can learn more about her at www.knowinggodministries.net

Share