Daddies And Their Daughters

Nothing is more precious than seeing a father spending time with their daughters. Whether if it is a play date in the park, building a sand castle at the beach, or reading a devotional at bedtime; that time spent with their daughters will forever shape them and will help them grow into a glorious, confidant woman.

It has been stated that fathers play a unique role in the development of their daughter’s choices, relationships, self-esteem, and behavior. In my own personal life, my father gave me the encouragement to excel and to make bold choices. Our oldest daughter loves nothing better than to have time with her father to discuss the Bible and to analyze the latest Marvel movie. She looks to him for encouragement and acceptance, just as we look to our Heavenly Father.

Fathers have one of the greatest opportunities to shape their daughter’s viewpoints on relationships…just by being a Godly man to his wife. Daughters see how their father treats their mom and they see how mom shows respect to her husband. Elaine Dalton comments, “The greatest thing a father can do for his daughter is to love her mother.” Our daughters see my husband and I holding hands, opening the door for me, laughing at our mistakes, studying God’s word together, praying together. Our daughters then take what they have learned and create an image of what their future husband should be like. I am not saying that we are the perfect couple, because we do get it wrong sometimes….especially when we discuss “loudly”. However, they see that even though that we might not always agree, we still love each other and that it is ok to voice our opinions.

Our pastor has stated in the past “The best thing to spend on children is T. I. M. E.” Children, whether boy or girl, want to spent time with their father. They will not remember all the gifts from Christmas or birthdays when they get older, but they will remember the time spent with them and the memories that were created. My fondest memory is of my daddy and me taking walks after he got home from work. We lived in a rural area, so I would pick wild flowers for my mom and we would look for wild turkey or deer. There are so many ways fathers can spend time with their daughters. Once a month, go on a daddy/daughter date. Get involved with activities that they like to do. Nothing encourages a child more, especially a daughter, than to see their father watching from the sidelines of a soccer game or at a piano recital.

Spending time with your daughter gives fathers the opportunity to disciple. Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not return from it. Proverbs 22:6NIV. Little girls love to ask questions, and they love to talk. This is the perfect opportunity for fathers to teach their daughters God’s word and what the Bible says about a particular issue. Whether on the way to school, sitting at the dinner table, on the way home from church, it is time that can be utilized for teaching moments. Bedtime has always been a special time in our house. My husband takes the time to do devotionals with both girls. With these devotionals, we have seen them grow into spiritually strong members of God’s family. Our oldest has a heart for missions and our youngest is the prayer warrior.

So…dads your daughters are only young once and they grow up so fast. One day they will be wives and mothers. Use the time God has given you to shape your girls into Daughters of the King most High. These commandments I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk with them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down, and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:6-9NIV

Edie is a wife of 18 yrs and a mother to two daughters, ages 16 and 10.  She holds a BS in Business Administration and is working towards her MA in Ministry to Women at Southeastern. She loves to read, travel, go shopping with her girls, cook and watch Marvel, Star Trek and Star Wars Movies.
Share