Running God’s Race

What a mighty assurance we have from Proverbs 18:10: “The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.” Yet, even in this comfort, I have struggled with the thought of wanting to run away from new situations even when God has clearly called me out and into something unfamiliar.  Rather than wholeheartedly trusting and following God in obedience, I tend to focus on the “Why?” instead of “How does God want me to take the unknowns in my life and move forward in knowing that He will be my all?”

This summer was a time when God gently helped me move into a place of complete rest and assurance in knowing that He will fulfill His purpose for me. You see, I wrestled with and dwelt on feelings of fear and doubt towards the end of the summer.  For it was just weeks before a new school year would start, when I was called to teach 5th grade, which was something that I had never done before.  Yes, teaching is a passion that God has given me, but I was faced with something that came unexpectedly and without much time of preparation.  I would love to say that I leaped for joy and was ready to jump right into this new place that God had clearly called me to go.  However, I allowed the thoughts of uncertainty and uneasiness take over my heart and mind instead of giving God my all and letting Him fill me with His peace that surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:7).  My confidence was centered on the “what if’s” rather than on God’s calling in my life.

Although I was ready to run away and not face this new opportunity, God kept mercifully reminding me of the forever truths of His word while leading me to the fact that He would fulfill His purpose for me (Psalm 138:8).  God was faithful to reveal to me the importance of pressing on and running this race with endurance and assurance that He would sustain me.  As God called me to go, He assured me I could know without a doubt that His grace is sufficient and His power is perfect in my weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9).  And all the more, if I ran away and ignored this new calling, then I would miss out on all that He has in store.

In my moments of worry, I was losing sight of the fact that God had me right in the palm of His hand.  He was not surprised in this change of my life, because He is not a God of confusion.  God was so gracious to reveal to me that I could run into His plans for my life and not fear the unknown.  Yes, this still is a process of knowing and I am not promised it will be easy, but I can be assured that He is the God of continuous love, peace, comfort, and strength.  And wow! As I was faced with this new surprise, how sweet God has been to amaze me with His incredible faithfulness and sovereignty even through my fears.

So my dear friends, maybe you are in a place of uncertainty or worry or fear.  I pray that you would be strengthened with the truth of knowing that God is sovereign and is doing a work in your life.  He will be your sufficiency amidst the surprising moments that this life can bring.  The Lord has you right where He wants you, and He is writing a beautiful story for you as you abide in Him.

Emily Benson joined the Southeastern family in August 2014. She is currently a 5thgrade teacher, and works alongside her husband with an international ministry at NC State.  Outside of work and ministry, she enjoys running, cooking, laughing, and making Pinterest crafts.
Share